09 December 2009

St. Eno's Fire

by Cameron Zohoori



I won't be in class for our final concert, so here are some short ramblings on my final piece:

I made this piece without a definite plan. I focused mostly on the sound itself, rather than a specific process or technique I intended to use to get there - in this piece, music was not the process, as many of the theorists we've read have treated it; it was the product. However, in some ways it did end up being a sort of sampling of some the of the ideas and techniques we traversed in class. It starts with a bit of musique concrete. The initial static-like noise was a recording from Thanksgiving dinner preparations; the water drops were found on freesound.org. However, it is not meant to be a musique concrete piece at all, so these sounds are quickly processed and incorporated into midi sound. There are some pseudorandomly generated segments (in the second half of the piece) - I played/composed the notes, but with no planning or later alteration, in one take, and not really paying much attention to what I was doing - basically holding down keys alternately. Overall, however, my goal was primarily to avoid having a goal, unlike most of my other pieces thus far. Though I think it could use some polishing in places, I am quite happy with how it turned out. I'd love to hear your comments.

P.S. I have had an incredible time learning and making music with you guys this semester. Thanks to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment